On June 21 in Bishkek, at the premises of the vocational school No. 27, a

On June 21 in Bishkek, at the premises of the vocational school No. 27, a handover ceremony took place to transfer training equipment to 5 pilot vocational schools. The training equipment was provided with the purpose to introduce 5 new professions and relevant training curricula at the mentioned vocational schools within IOM’s project “Towards Improved Vocational Education and Training in Kyrgyzstan” funded by the European Union. Moreover in order to introduce the new professions, special classrooms and labs had been refurbished at the pilot vocational schools.
The ceremony was attended by the Head of the EU Delegation to the Kyrgyz Republic Ambassador Chantal Hebberecht, IOM Coordinator for Central Asia, directors of the pilot vocational schools, management of the relevant ministries and agencies, representatives of the civil sector and employers. After the formal part of the ceremony, the officials inspected the refurbished and equipped classrooms and laboratories.
«European Union has paid a particular attention to the development of the vocational education and training (VET) system of Kyrgyzstan. This project is another step forward to strengthening the manpower potential of the country as one of the main catalysts of the economic development. We are glad to witness Kyrgyzstan’s efforts in reforming the VET system in the country», – stated Ambassador Chantal Hebberecht,Head of the Delegation of the European Union in the Kyrgyz Republic.
«With increasing mobility of manpower resources in the modern world, facilitating labour migration processes is becoming more and more relevant. And the vocational education and training system is the most important component of the labour migration process used as one of the instruments of protecting the rights of migrant workers prior to departure. Committed to this principle, IOM continues assisting the Kyrgyz Government in improving the VET system, in parallel helping Kyrgyzstan to address labour migration issues», — assured Dejan Keserovic – IOM Coordinator for Central Asia.
«We have already launched the introduction of the new professions: preparer of produce and raw materials at the vocational school No.6 in Talas, roofer at the vocational school No. 14 in Karakol, car electrician at the vocational school No. 16 in Osh, motor vehicle crane operator at the vocational school No.8 and car mechanist of fuel injected engines at the vocational school No. 27 here in Bishkek. Worth emphasizing that the training duration for these new professions does not exceed 6 months. Therefore, the best practice of launching short-term training on new professions demanded in Kyrgyzstan and abroad, is in line with our strategic goals and objectives» — noted Taalaibek Cholponkulov – Director of the Agency for Vocational Education and Training under the Ministry of Labour, Migration and Youth of the Kyrgyz Republic.
The project “Towards Improved Vocational Education and Training in Kyrgyzstan” is 80% funded by the European Union and the remaining 20% funding is provided by IOM’s Development fund. The project is implemented by IOM in partnership with NGOs “Aikol” (Talas) and “Blagodat” (Osh).
The objective of the project is to assist the Kyrgyz Republic in enhancing the capacity of the vocational education and training system through capacity building of VET providers in the fields of innovative management practices, strategic development approaches, developing partnerships and making VET attractive to the population
Information was provided by IOM